Wednesday, July 10, 2013

BONE BEACH


I am not my hair
nor my home
nor my sofa
all yellow
to match my teeth

I am something much smaller
I ache with generations of pain

there is a battle
somewhere deep
in the middle of
my bones where
good and evil play
out a tired tale of
dichotomy I deny
even as it rips
through my joints
like fire through
a dry forest
everything crackling
to a flame

somewhere else
deeper inside
my bones there’s a whole
beach of eroded
dreams I inherited
from my mother
her tears lap my shore
like a mermaid
yearning for legs
just for a day even
just to feel the earth
under her feet
just once the heat
of our ancestors
between her toes

I need this beach
the way I need bones
to wade into water
on a hot day
the way she needs me
to hold her sand
to carry it with me
to and fro
across the borders

No comments:

Post a Comment